Friday 18 April 2008

More Michals musing.

I have been thinking about what has led to my interest in Duane Michals. I have become almost as obsessed with him as I am with Andy Warhol. Which is very, in case you didn't know.
The weird and mysterious personality of Warhol, and his cynical and simple views on the world always come to mind when I think about life.
But as much as Warhol makes me want to not take life too seriously, Michals exploration of the unconscious mind makes me think in greater depth about my feelings and emotions, and the reason I'm here.
Warhol's persona is somewhat one of mystery and privacy. This is a something that I have always had myself and felt comfortable with, but Michals and his desire series destroys my want for secrecy completely. I look at the work and want to put my thoughts, feelings and experiences on display, I find his photographs fascinating.

So it seems I have an attraction to this idea of privacy. Privacy in the conscious or unconscious mind. The private self and the thoughts that we don't share for whatever reason.

Michals inspires me with his public exploration of usually private thoughts. It is this that I want in mind when creating my work. Like him I am using photography as a means of exploring who I am and what exactly I am feeling.

1 comment:

Uisdean Mòr said...

Some more posts/pics so we can see where you with the project...Hugh